Saturday, September 20, 2008

Supposed to Be

We spend a lot of time at my church dismantling all of the misconceptions we all have about what it means to follow Christ. Steve calls them "supposed to's." You know them...you're supposed to read your bible everyday...supposed to go to church every Sunday...I could go on. If I get the point right, it's not about doing things because you are supposed to. Supposed to = religion, where if you fail to do the supposed to's you are no longer on God's good side. The truth is, there is absolutely NOTHING that I can "do," to gain God's favor. He did it all through sending his Son to die in my place. Even though I deserve the worst death out there. AND I DO DESERVE IT!!! But God loved ME enough to do it all for me, just so he can be with me. It's AMAZING!

The times that I grasp this concept are the times that I am filled with the most joy. So often I get down because I feel like I'm not doing what I'm supposed to do as a Christian. THIS is the lie of religion. But when the joy of this truth is lived out in my daily life, the supposed to's go away. I do things because I feel like I'm called to do them, I'm following God's will by doing them and I find sheer JOY in doing them. And if I start thinkng in terms of "supposed to's," I stop myself and try doing something differently for a while.

Here's what got me thinking about the whole thing....

Steve posted the blog below on his website. I find it extremely humorous and TRUE. Get rid of those Bible covers PEOPLE!!! =). I'm posting an additional website which started the whole talk.

"You've got to check this out so that you know what you are supposed to be into as a Christian. Be warned - this might offend you and also has nothing to do with Jesus. Awesome. "

Here's the other link.... http://stufffchristianslike.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Ulbins said...

You have stated it very well. This is the paradox I'm facing right now. I'm about it give up religion because of rules and hypocrisy, not because I want an easy life, but because I don't want somebody else (living) to prescribe a life for me (other than our father's plan).

lauraslifetoday said...

I think YOU nailed it with the comment about rules and hypocrisy. I would say our whole generation agrees. I was in search of something authentic instead of the prescribed "three steps to a better life" stuff. I think it's been referred to as the Gospel of Grace vs. Religion of Works. There's some good stuff out there right now about it all.